Hopper Car #70
Railroader's Day -- August 18, 2002
|1999 modifications to Otto|
|1999 Ties acquisition|
|A view of most of the operating equipment in 1995. Our roster includes a 0-4-0 Henshel, homebuilt diesel-electric, 1924 six ton Vulcan, 1965 three ton Brookville, and a homebuilt two-truck Shay. Our handcar, Fairmont inspection car, and caboose are also in the photo. The turntable was constructed on this site to service the five indoor storage tracks and allow us to turn the locomotives. There were no buildings or trackage present when the railroad was begun in 1966.|
|A view of Vulcan #3, Norman; Henschel #1, Otto; diesel #2, Ed; and Brookville #4, Joe.|
After decending the hill, the train rolls over a high fill, around a tight
curve, and crosses a bridge. The uphill climb then begins, passing a small pond
along the way.
The B&W trackage includes this 60 foot long, 15 foot high bridge over a small creek. The bridge was built within one summer without use of cranes or heavy machinery. This marks the lowest (and one of the few level) spots on the railroad.
|Here is the lastest view of the B&W complex. This picture shows the most recent additions. Displayed are our 5 track engine house in the foreground; 3 track car shop; and the 2 track coach shop.|
|Here is the view taken prior to the new additions in 1997|
|Our shay locomotive originally built by the late Peter Lear of Colebrook, NH. It was donated to us by his family, and moved here in 1994. Shown here in the original form on a test run, it is currently being rebuilt with larger wheels, a new firebox, and boiler insulation.|
|The Shay in 1998 after half the rebuild has been completed|
|Pittsburg, Shawmut, and Northern Railroad caboose #186 has been restored as the B&W's only standard gage display. The car was used on the PS&N until it's 1947 abandonment, then on the Pittsburg & Shawmut until 1966|
|The crew of the B&W had an unexpected visitor during our September, '97 railroader day. It seems that Santa is quite a big railfan.|